Have you ever wanted to experience the best of both worlds when it comes to relaxation - steam and aromatherapy? Well, now you can! By using essential oils in a steam shower, you can enjoy the benefits of both. In this guide, we'll cover everything you need to know about using essential oils in a steam shower, including how to choose the best essential oil for your steam shower, how to use essential oils in your steam shower, and more!
Introduction to Essential Oils and Steam Showers
Essential oils are naturally occurring plant extracts that are used for their therapeutic benefits. They are known for their powerful aromas and healing properties. Steam showers are a type of shower that uses steam to create a luxurious and comfortable shower experience. When combined, essential oils and steam showers create a therapeutic and relaxing experience that can be enjoyed by all.
When essential oils are added to a steam shower, they help to create a soothing, spa-like environment. The essential oils evaporate into the steam, releasing their healing properties and aromas throughout the shower. This can help to reduce stress, improve mood, and promote relaxation.
How to Choose the Best Essential Oil for Your Steam Shower
With so many essential oils on the market, it can be kind of difficult to choose the best one for your steam shower. Here are some tips to help you choose the best essential oil for your steam shower:
- Choose an oil that appeals to your senses: Different essential oils have different aromas and therapeutic properties. Choose an oil that smells good to you and offers the benefits you are looking for.
- Personal preference: What scent do you prefer? Some people find certain scents calming while others find them energizing.
- Check the ingredients: Make sure to check the ingredients of the essential oil to ensure it is all-natural and contains no synthetic fragrances or additives.
- Steam Shower Compatibility: Some essential oils are not compatible with steam showers and could cause skin irritation, or discoloration of the grout and tiles, so check the compatibility before using it.
- Allergies or sensitivities: If you have allergies, make sure to check the ingredients of the essential oil to ensure it does not contain any allergens. You can do patch testing before using a new essential oil on the steam shower.
- Quality of the oil: Make sure you purchase high-quality, pure essential oils. Make sure to do some research on the brand. Steer clear of products that are labeled as "fragrance oils or Perfume oils " as they are not genuine essential oils.
Benefits of Using Essential Oils in Steam Showers
The warm steam and the invigorating scent of essential oils create a sense of tranquility and balance, leaving you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Using essential oils in a steam shower can provide a wide range of benefits for both the mind and body. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- Enhancing the shower experience: Using essential oils in a steam shower can enhance the overall experience by creating a spa-like atmosphere, leaving the user feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
- Relaxation and Stress Relief: Using essential oils like lavender, bergamot, and ylang-ylang in a steam shower can help to promote relaxation and reduce stress due to their calming properties.
- Improved Sleep: Essential oils such as lavender, bergamot and ylang-ylang can help to improve sleep by promoting relaxation and reducing stress. I will sleep like a baby after taking a steam shower with these essential oils.
- Improved Mood: Taking a steam shower with essential oils can be a great way to improve your mood and overall well-being. Essential oils like peppermint, lemon and rosemary can uplift the mood and provide a sense of energy and clarity. The steam helps to release the oils' therapeutic properties, which can have a positive effect on the mind and body.
- Improved Respiratory Function: Essential oils such as eucalyptus, peppermint and tea tree contain natural decongestant properties, and can help to clear the sinuses and improve breathing when used in a steam shower.
- Improved Skin Health: Essential oils such as chamomile, tea tree and peppermint can help to improve the overall health of the skin by fighting off bacteria and reducing inflammation.
- Relief from Colds and Flu: Routinely taking a steam shower infused with essential oils may provide some relief for symptoms related to colds and flu, such as nasal congestion, sore throat, and headaches. Essential oils like eucalyptus, peppermint and tea tree are known for their decongestant properties that can aid in opening up nasal passages and improve breathing. Furthermore, lavender, chamomile and tea tree oil have anti-inflammatory properties that may alleviate pain and discomfort in the throat and headaches.
5 Best Essential Oils for Steam Showers
There is a long list of essential oil that you can use for a steam shower, but which one is the best? Don't worry we are breaking down the 5 best essential oils for steam showers.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
One of the top choices for steam showers is Eucalyptus oil, known for its refreshing, invigorating scent and decongestant properties. Eucalyptus is a refreshing, invigorating essential oil making it great for relieving respiratory issues like sinus congestion and asthma.
Lavender Essential Oil:
For those looking to unwind and relax, lavender oil is the best choice. It is a popular essential oil with a calming, soothing aroma. Lavender essential has stress-relieving properties and can help to reduce feelings of anxiety and depression. After a busy hardworking day take a steam shower with lavender essential oil the soothing scent will help you to calm the mind and promote a restful good night's sleep.
Peppermint Essential Oil:
Peppermint oil is a great choice for use in a steam shower. It is a stimulating essential oil with a refreshing scent of cool and minty aroma. It can help to stimulate the mind and uplift your mood. Taking a steam shower with peppermint essential oil will give you refreshment, mental clarity and a boost of energy during the day.
Tea Tree Essential Oil:
Tea tree essential oil is a great option for you if you are looking to enhance your steam shower experience. Tea tree is a cleansing essential oil that can help to purify the air. Known for its antiseptic, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties, it can help to fight off bacteria keeping the skin clean and clear. If you are a clean freak like me you should use tea tree essential oil after a long hard working day.
Rosemary Essential Oil:
Rosemary is an energizing essential oil with a sweet, herbaceous scent that helps you by boosting your energy levels and improving focus. With its fresh, herbaceous scent, it can help to invigorate the senses and improve focus and concentration. Rosemary essential oil is also popular for its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, making it great for soothing sore muscles and joints. Inhaling rosemary oil in the steam shower can help to open up the airways, making it great for people who has respiratory issues.
How to Use Essential Oils in Your Steam Shower
Using essential oils in your steam shower is a great way to enhance the overall experience and benefit from the therapeutic properties of the oils. To use essential oils in your steam shower, you can follow these simple steps:
- First, choose the essential oils you would like to use. Selecting pure and high-quality essential oils is important for achieving the desired benefits. It's your choice to use a single essential oil or create a mixed blend of different types of essential oils to achieve the desired effect. But you have to remember not all essential oils are compatible with one another. Some oils do not blend together, so it’s best to oils that are known to blend well together.
- To add the essential oil to your steam shower, you can either add the oil directly to the water in the steam generator or you can use a diffuser to disperse the oil into the steam. If you choose to add the oil directly to the water, be sure to mix it well to ensure that the oil is evenly distributed. If you use a diffuser, add the oil to the diffuser and place it in the steam shower before turning on the steam. Keep in mind that not all diffusers are suitable for use in a steam shower, so be sure to choose one that is specifically designed for this purpose. You can also do it more easier and traditional way just use a small bowl or cup and place it near the steam outlet.
- Once you have your diffuser or bowl in place, add a few drops of your chosen essential oils to the diffuser or bowl. Typically, the suggested amount of essential oil to use is about 5-10 drops but you can always adjust the amount to your personal preference.
- You can also use the steam outlets/steam pods with wick diffuser refills. Simply just soak the wick diffusers in your favorite essential oil and put them on the steam pod.
- Turn on your steam shower and allow the oils to diffuse into the steam. As the steam fills the shower, it will carry the essential oils with it, creating a soothing and therapeutic environment. Enjoy the therapeutic benefits of essential oils and allow yourself to relax and unwind.
- Once you have finished your shower, it's recommended to turn off the steam and let the shower cool down before exiting to avoid any discomfort.
Check our other article about: Benefits of a Tea Tree Essential Oil with Diffuser
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Essential Oil Steam Shower
Here are some tips for getting the most out of your essential oil steam shower:
- Use the right amount of essential oil: Make sure to use the right amount of essential oil for the size of the steam shower. Too much essential oil can be overpowering.
- Try different essential oils to find which one works best for you and provides the benefits you are looking for. Don’t be afraid to mix and match to create your own blend.
- Use a diffuser to disperse the oils into the steam, this will help to evenly distribute the oils and ensure that you are getting the full benefits.
- Don’t overdo it: Start with a small amount of essential oil and gradually increase the amount until you find the correct amount that is perfect for you. Limit your essential oil steam showers to once or twice a week to avoid overdoing it.
- Create a spa-like atmosphere by lowering the lights and playing soothing music to set the mood.
- Take time to breathe deeply and fully inhale the steam, this will help to open up your airways and allow you to fully benefit from the oils.
Safety Considerations When Using Essential Oils in a Steam Shower
Although essential oils are generally safe when used properly, there are some safety considerations to follow when using essential oils in a steam shower. Here are some safety considerations to keep in mind when using essential oils in a steam shower:
- Use only pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils: Make sure to use only pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils to avoid any adverse reactions. You should avoid those products labeled as "fragrance oils"
- Avoid contact with eyes: Avoid getting essential oils into the eyes as they can cause irritation. If essential oil gets in your eyes quickly rinse your eyes with water for a few minutes.
- Limit exposure time: Limit your exposure time to essential oils to avoid any potential adverse reactions.
- Be aware of allergies: Be aware of any allergies you may have and avoid using essential oils that could trigger them.
- Shower Compatible Oil: Use essential oils that are compatible with steam shower and could avoid skin irritation, or discoloration of the grout and tiles.
- Store essential oils safely: Make sure to store essential oils in a cool and dark place to ensure they stay fresh and potent.
Troubleshooting Tips for Using Essential Oils in a Steam Shower
If you’re having difficulty using essential oils in a steam shower, here are some troubleshooting tips to help:
- Make sure the steam shower is filled with steam: Make sure the steam shower is filled with steam before adding essential oils.
- Check the essential oil concentration: Make sure the concentration of essential oils is not too high. Too much essential oil can be overpowering.
- Check the temperature: Make sure the temperature of the steam shower is not too high.
- Check the ventilation: Make sure the steam shower is properly ventilated to ensure the essential oils do not become overpowering.
- Check the sealant: Make sure the sealant around the shower is intact to prevent essential oils from escaping.
Using essential oils in a steam shower can be a great way to enjoy the therapeutic benefits of both steam and aromatherapy. With this guide, you now have all the information you need to unlock the power of essential oils in your steam shower. So, don’t wait any longer - start using essential oils in your steam shower today and experience the healing benefits for yourself!